Monday, July 04, 2005

A Pledge To Keep

The Pledge Canada Campaign is attempting to raise awareness and promote the recitation in schools and public events of the pledge from the Canadian Bill of Rights.

I am a Canadian, a free Canadian,

Free to speak without fear,

Free to worship God in my own way,

Free to stand for what I think right,

Free to oppose what I believe wrong,

Free to choose those who shall govern my country.

This heritage of freedom, I pledge to uphold,

For myself and all mankind.


When John Diefenbaker signed this pledge as part of the Bill of Rights in 1960, it represented everything our country stood for against the menace of Communist ideology.

Now it could very well be considered seditious or hate speech by our own government.

How far we have fallen!

1 comment:

buckets said...

Surely every Canadian--left, right, or center--would claim that pledge. Do you not speak without fear? worship God as you please? stand for what you think right, oppose what you think is wrong, and freely choose who to vote for? Me, too.